Blue Ridge Presbyterian Church (M)
Property Committee Meeting
May 3, 2016
Building Relationships with People in Christ
I. Items to be included in Session's consent agenda: none
II. Items to be voted upon or needing discussion by Session: Review of Building Use (please see below).
III. Items for information only: Please see below.
Members present: Sally Ingram, Christi Neal, Paul Vance, and Bobby Neal, moderator, were present. Bobby opened the meeting with prayer. Sally shared a devotional concerning the Luce’s moving experience. Minutes of the 4-5-16 meeting were approved.
· Alarm System additions – No report at this time.
· Brightergy/Sunny Portal – Data through April indicates everything is functioning properly, and our energy output is slightly above average compared to years past.
· South Fence Repair – Scouts are waiting for warmer weather as opportunity exists.
· Narthex Information Screen – Bill Melewski and Bobby Neal will meet again to finalize recommendations and then present this information to Pastor Pat.
· Handrail at South Entrance – No report at this time. Gary Oberlander will finish the project upon completion of travels.
· Roof Repair – Gary will be contacting commercial roofers for bids. Hoot Mann will be consulted as to possible vendors. Paul continues to monitor and collect rainfall in various places in the building.
· Lighting of Pulpit/Lectern – This project has been tabled at this time. Bill has met with representatives from Progressive and their affiliates. Providing more lighting for the pulpit and lectern will be more involved and expensive than we can address at this time. Options will continue to be discussed and explored.
· Scouts’ Use of Building – Restroom lights are still left on at times, and doors have been left unsecured. Also, tables and floors are not always cleaned up after use. Gary will facilitate both the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts’ awareness of these challenges.
· Lawn Mower – No replacement was needed. A replacement fuse was all that was needed for repair.
· Burchett Tree Replacement – Committee members voted to purchase a Japanese Maple tree, and this will be financed by the Burchett family. Members hope to have a company both provide and plant the tree. The old stump will be removed by volunteers.
· Old Paint – Paul will find a place to properly dispose of our old paint.
· Weed Eater – Paul purchased a new one for the church using funds donated by Wayne and Loydine Kranz.
· Flags - Paul will purchase new American flags.
· Water on Floor – Paul found water on the floor back by the furnace room. Committee members have determined that it was most likely from the heavy rains and a clogged drain, not a foundation problem.
· Music Director Office – Custodians will be notified that trash needs to be removed weekly from the office. Also, basic sweeping and dusting needs addressed, including the windows. The location of the key to the office will be provided to the custodians.
· Excess Items – Grace Cox-Johnson, music director, has marked some miscellaneous items that are not needed for her office. Bobby will remove them and place them in a location for committees to examine and determine if they are needed. Any unneeded items will be placed in the upcoming rummage sale.
· Clutter – Pastor Pat has asked the committee to address the clutter behind the sanctuary, including unused books on the shelves, a ladder, and banners. Many of these items have been stowed in this area and could cause a hazard for people walking through. There is concern that the banners will fade in the sunlight, and the shelves could be used for other uses. Our committee will wait for Pastor Pat to determine which books remain here at BRPC and which ones can be given away or sold at the rummage sale.
· Prayer Room/Library – Pat has asked that our committee explore space for a prayer room/library. Our committee discussed the current library space outside the nursery.
Building Use Requests:
· The following building use requests were approved: 3 CE Movie Nights in summer; VBS; Traveling Day Camp; Rummage Sale; Kranz’ 60th Wedding Anniversary Celebration, Alex Banks’ graduation party.
A discussion about building use requests was held after it was brought to the committee’s attention that, even though rooms have been reserved and approved for use, other groups are still making plans to use the same space without going through the proper channels. Our committee requests that everyone wishing to use space for an event please submit a building request form, which may or may not be approved (depending upon circumstances). After approval, Property Committee will place the event on the calendar. To avoid conflicts, it is suggested that groups submit a building request form as much in advance as possible. Guidelines for building use will be reviewed in the upcoming newsletter.
Sally closed the meeting with a devotional.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:00 pm.